Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Homework question

This is not really a technology issue, but Valerie Strauss brings sheds insight into the issues of homework and high stakes testing and academic achievement in this commentary.

As I look at my own children who are now college-aged, and I think about the future on which they will live, I am doubtful that their performance on any test is going to be a true indicator of their success. I am glad they found jobs and athletics and opportunities to become leaders in their high school years. Those "things" they were doing when others are pouring over homework are where they gained the experiences that prepare them for the changing and unpredictable future.

Certainly students need academic skills... but they need experiences as well. Take 5 minutes and read this essay... then post it on FaceBook, email it, or otherwise share it with adults whom you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment